Thursday, March 22, 2012

Accidental Frags

As you may or may not know, we have a gorgeous 225 gallon tank next to my desk here at Aquatic Life. It is my pleasure and my job to take care of the tank. ( I know I get paid to do things I want to do!) Anyways I was looking at the tank yesterday and decided I needed to do a water change and also re-arrange a few pieces of coral etc. inside.

So I change out 30 gallons of water and then I decide to change out the GFO inside of the media reactor as well. Then I move on to reposition a garf bonsai frag I recently acquired. I carefully place some tongs into the tank and gently lift the frag up. And then it happened. The clumsy doofus inside of me reared its ugly head. My elbow smashes into a giant colony of some digitata! My mind raced and I began to panic. I reached down to grab the fist sized piece I had just broken off. As I reached down the same offending elbow bashed the same colony again and broke off another softball sized piece!


I moved all of the new “ accidental frags” to the frag tank.




Initially I was very upset as I was really digging the aquascape in the tank. But the more I look at it the more relieved I am. I think the colony had become much to large anyways. I like the look with a new smaller hand sized colony of the digitata. That’s what is so great about this hobby. The tank is alive and constantly changing and developing. Just when you think everything inside is perfect it grows out or something changes. I will never get tired of having a piece of the ocean and making it my own.


Here is what the colony looks like now. I can’t wait to see the form it takes on!



James Korner

No comments:

Post a Comment